Friday, May 8, 2009

25.9 degrees last night

Well, the headline says it all. I should be fine, all plants were covered.

Last night I was lying around, about 9pm, playing on my iPod. Tap, tap, scroll, and I can get an hour-by-hour report of the predicted temperatures. I saw that it was going to get down to 33. I know that for my particular spot, take what they say and subtract 7 or so degrees, and that's what you might get. It's easy to get complacent when you go about a week or so without freezing temperatures, to forget, to slip up just once and guess what? Your season is done. But the iPod really saved me last night!

2 comments:

Gayla said...

So, is it really true that we are approximately 7 degrees lower than what is reported at the airport or TV stations? Do you record the temperatures at your house?

Bruce

cliffwarren said...

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the question. I do check the temperature at my house when I get up in the morning. So 25.9 is what I saw, even though it might have been even colder. I've found that whatever the weather prediction is, subtract 7 from that for your worst-case scenario. Now, that is a worst-case scenario. Sometimes we're warmer than what the weather forecast is, and sometimes we're colder. For me, the magic number is 37. If they say 37 or less, I'm going to cover all plants, or face the chance of loosing them.

I've found that the weather guys can predict wind with perfect accuracy. If they say that it's going to be windy, it will, and they even know when it will start and when it will end. But temperature, particularly overnight temperature, is far from an exact science. ;-)