Saturday, March 14, 2009

Good Stuff

I picked up some old pallets this morning for free. These are great for constructing wind fences around the patch. I stand them on their side, and stake them up. As the plant grows, the fence can be moved. 

I think I have a real pumpkin grower in Elise. Of my five kids, she is the only one who has shown an interest in this hobby. I guess this is a "one of a city, two of a family" sort of pursuit. Anyway, this morning at breakfast I said, "So, for your plant this year, do you want one like my 779 from last year (pale, but heavy and solid) or do you want one that will be a nice pretty orange?" She (10 years old) looked me in the eye and said firmly, "Whatever gives me the best chance of beating ---- at the fair next year!" 

I think she's getting it...

No comments: