Sunday, July 12, 2009

Update

Here is a general update. Maybe I'll post pictures later today.


998 - The plant is a genetic freak, with lots of vines going double, and vines going everywhere. I try to keep it pruned but it's hard to know what is what. I have a pollination at about 12 feet, on a vine that I turned into a "secondary main". It's too soon to know if this one will take, but if it doesn't just about any other fruit on the plant might do just as well.

964 - Was my best plant, but the leaves on the main just past the 10 foot mark seemed weak, would wilt every day, then finally the vine just DIED at the 13 foot mark! I don't know why. Some of the leaves there look my friend Brian Christensen's leaves, but certainly not as severe. I have a fruit there at 12.5 feet, and it will stay. Nearly all of the rest of the plant has had vines terminated already. There are a few still growing. But if the fruit takes, then it will grow at the end of the main. It has a good plant to drive it. For the moment I'm not taking off any other females until I know that this one on the main will stay.

779 - Finally had a main vine fruit pollinate yesterday. This one took forever to open. I sure hope it takes. Once I get to 12 feet, my vines really slow down.

1232 - Will be a wild plant to grow small giant pumpkins.

1392 - Plant looks a little weak, but it has my oldest main vine fruit at about 9.5 feet, and another one at around 11. It's doing OK.

1436 - This could become my best plant, depending on what the 964 does. It's a nice, straight plant that is easy to train. I have two pollinations on the main, similar to the 1392.

Looks like I might have a another weighoff to look at this year. The Pocatello Farmer's Market is hosting a weighoff, the week before Halloween. Not sure if I can keep a fruit going that long, but if so I might as well go down there and promote the sport. This weighoff appears to be really low-key. I suspect that over half of the entries will be field pumpkins. But maybe I can meet someone who is wanting to get involved, here in Pocatello. Or, maybe I'll be the only one there, with this weather we've had!

No comments: