Thursday, June 24, 2010

Two weeks behind

Judging by previous years I think I'm about two weeks behind at this point. I will not, under any circumstances, set fruit at less than 10 feet out. This means that I might not be pollinating this year until mid-July.

Of course, one never knows. Once we finally heat up the plants could catch up in a hurry. We're heading for 85 today. Finally! My longest vine is on the 1505 at about 7 or 8 feet now. I certainly can't pollinate what doesn't exist yet. But I'm just going to wait on it... let it come if it ever does, and hope that we have a warm September. I just don't know what will happen for the fair.

It's been said, to not pollinate until there are 100 leaves on the plant. Right now I'd say that most plants are averaging 35 leaves. But, The number of new leaves is now probably eight per day.

No comments: