Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Raising the vine

This first fruit on the 1211.5 is the one that has me worried. About a week ago I saw this gash and some "malnourishment" on one side. Usually this isn't good. But I have no other prospects on the plant, it will have to be this fruit, or an August pollination! Click on the image to see it larger.



The fruit on the 720. Like the others, tonight I added styrofoam blocks under the main vine, to help it rise with the fruit.



People always ask me why we bury vines. Why don't we just grow the whole thing under one massive piece of black plastic? This is why... Those little white things on the underside of the vine are the formation of roots. This vine tipped over in the tempest we just had. I need to fix it.

1 comment:

Wendy Swore said...

I did that to many of the vines we have out in the back field. (buried them) I'm glad to hear that you approve. many have weak stems and I hoped they would root out other places.

thanks for posting. :)