Friday, January 4, 2008

2008 Plans

OK, well, here we go!

I'm thinking of six plants this year. I took some time last fall to remove a raspberry patch that was no longer producing. This patch was right in the center of the space that I used for last year's patch. I've really burned it down and ripped it up with the tractor, plus, I did it before the canes had a chance to formally "go into dormancy", so maybe the roots won't come back up all over the place. Well, I certainly hope.

Some seeds that are on my short (long) list:

604.5 Warren 07 (1086 Holland X 125 Wolf) - This will definitely get planted.
720 Warren 07 (1191 Zunino X 1086 Holland) - Might get planted, but germination tests haven't gone well.
857 Christensen
1171 Christensen
1186 Bowles
1002 Bowles
1290 Poirier
1236 Wolf
125 Wolf
1185 Bortner

There could be more. I have lots of great ideas, as usual. I'm even thinking of using drainage pipes to feed the plants (roots) about one foot down.

For early season protection, I'm definitely going with my neighbor's design from last year. I will need to post photos. I still have a lot of soil work to do. Ah, I also found out that I can get a basic soil test from Utah State University Extension for about $14.00. I need to do this. Mostly, I'm concerned about salts and organic matter.

No comments: